Listen to this post

Happy endings aren’t common in divorce, but many spouses are at least able to emerge with a sense of hope for the future. They recognize the need for compromise and may even take satisfaction in the small victories they’ve scored along the way.

Sometimes, however, divorces do not go at all as planned. In the aftermath of this difficult process, ex-spouses may feel they were treated unfairly in court — and they may resent the seemingly lopsided compromises they’ve been forced to make. These decisions aren’t exactly easy to reverse, but it may be possible in select circumstances, as detailed below.

File an Appeal

If you believe that the judge presiding over your case failed to follow established legal principles or lacked evidence to back up key decisions, your case may be eligible for appeal. If you choose to pursue this path, your case will be referred to the Minnesota Court of Appeals for review. During this process, the original decision will likely remain in effect, unless a stay pending appeal is issued. Given the strict nature of Minnesota’s appellate system, it is critical that you meet every deadline, appeal on a valid basis, and work with a skilled attorney who understands the complexities of this process.

Seek Modification

Down the line, it may be possible to change the judge’s original decision, assuming your financial situation or other aspects of your daily life change. Modifications may involve parenting time, child support, or spousal maintenance. Unfortunately, divorce decisions regarding property division cannot be altered unless extraordinary circumstances exist.

Whether you desire an appeal or modification of your original divorce agreement, you’ll find the process far easier when you have a trusted family attorney on your side. The experts at the law firm of Barna, Guzy & Steffen, Ltd. can help you determine which approach is in your best interests.