Jason C. Brown has represented a wide variety of family law clients over the last 20 years, including teachers, homemakers, union construction workers, doctors, truck drivers, accountants, business owners, engineers, lawyers, mortgage brokers and Fortune 500 executives. Many of his cases have involved complex custody disputes, alimony claims, and high net worth individuals, including several divorces in which the value of the marital estate exceeded ten million dollars. Every client, no matter their background, is important to Jason.
Jason routinely provides mediation services for family court litigants. He was a longtime board member and corporate secretary for Northgate Church in Ramsey. Early in his career, Jason served as law clerk to the Honorable Timothy R. Bloomquist, retired Chief Judge of Minnesota’s Tenth Judicial District. In his spare time, he likes to collect, play and build guitars.
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Property Division
- Spousal Maintenance
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Domestic Abuse
- Grandparent Rights
- Minnesota, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2002
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 2000, cum laude
- William Mitchell Law Review: Staff Member (1998-1999); Associate Editor (1999-2000)
- Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court: Team Member (1998-1999); Team Coach (1999-2000)
- B.S., Communication Studies, Mankato State University, 1997, magna cum laude
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Monthly Family Law Column, Minnesota Lawyer (2015-Present)
- Editor & Author, Minnesota Family Law Blog (2008-Present)
- Author, Various Family Law Articles, Star Tribune (2013)
- Presenter, Tax Issues in Divorce, Washington County Bar Association (2021)
- Presenter, Financial Issues in Divorce, Minnesota Judicial Branch CLE (2020)
- Presenter, Four-Parent Adoption Case, Minnesota Judicial Branch CLE (2020)
- Presenter, Minnesota Family Law Institute, (2013; 2017; 2018; 2021)
- Guest, SENE and FENE, The District Court Show, Tenth Judicial District (2016)
- Presenter, Family Law CLE Courses, Tenth Judicial District (2013-2015)
- Presenter, Same-Sex Marriage CLE, Minnesota Paralegal Association (2014)
- Presenter, Lawyer Innovation CLE, Hennepin County Bar Association (2011)
- Adjunct Professor, Family Law, North Hennepin Community College (2006)
Honors & Distinctions
- Minnesota Family Law Super Lawyer: (2015, 2016, 2020, 2021)
- Family Law Chair, Minnesota Association for Justice (2006)
- Planning Committee Member, Minnesota Family Law Institute (2017-2018)
- Court-Appointed Family Law Early Neutral Evaluator, Anoka, Hennepin, Sherburne and Wright County (2015-2021)
- Family Law Blog Recognized as a “Top 25” by the Minnesota State Bar Association (2011)
- Hennepin County Guardianship Mediation Pilot Project Member (2018-2020)
- WCCO TV
- FOX 9
- KARE 11
- WCCO Radio
- Minnesota Monthly
- Star Tribune
- St. Paul Magazine
- Minnesota Lawyer
- Huffington Post
- USA Today
- NBC News
- Time Magazine
- Representation of mother in divorce involving allegations of sexual misconduct upon the parties’ infant child by father. Six-day trial with numerous forensic and psychological experts.
- Representation of wife in divorce involving complex financial issues relating to the enforceability of a prenuptial agreement, spousal maintenance and business ownership interests. Six-day trial with numerous finance and contract law experts.
- Representation of wife seeking to quash husband’s non-marital claims in assets of significant value, including a multimillion-dollar home, luxury automobiles and a twin prop aircraft. Success following trial.
- Representation of father seeking to modify legal custody, physical custody, parenting time and child support as a result of mother’s psychiatric disorder and ongoing use of illicit substances. Relief granted after prolonged litigation, including appeal.
- Representation of a father seeking to migrate the terms of a legal separation decree into a divorce decree through summary judgment. Motion granted.
- Representation of ex-wife of well-known musician in maintaining receipt of alimony payments in light of artist’s ongoing recording royalties.
- Representation of wife in a legal separation proceeding involving millions of dollars in non-marital interests in her favor. Matter resolved by settlement agreement with all claims recognized.
- Representation of husband seeking to avoid support arrears by demonstrating his marriage was void as a matter of law. Success following investigation proving wife was still married at time of “marriage” to husband.
- Representation of wife seeking accurate valuation of husband’s business interests. Husband’s experts suggested minimal value. Recovered millions for wife.
- Representation of mother seeking to discredit custody evaluator at trial. Final order favored mother after retaining our own expert to critique work of evaluator.
- Representation of children seeking a harassment restraining order against their father until they reached 18 years of age. Order entered following trial.
- Representation of grandparents in Minnesota’s first four-parent adoption.
- Representation of partners in well-known Minneapolis law firm in drafting and executing postnuptial agreements concerning recreational property purchase.
- Representation of spouse in Minnesota’s first same-sex divorce.