If you would like to obtain a copy of your divorce decree or other Minnesota divorce records, you can access and download a copy online using the Minnesota Court Records Online (MCRO) website: https://publicaccess.courts.state.mn.us/
If you would like to order a certified copy of your Minnesota divorce decree, you can obtain it directly from the county courthouse where your divorce was granted. Each district courthouse in Minnesota offers electronic access to statewide public case records through public access terminals. Here is a link to copy request forms in each county: https://mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Copy-Request.aspx
Also, each district courthouse in Minnesota also offers in-person counter access to locally-stored, public case records in paper form. Courthouse public access terminals provide the most complete access to electronic district court case records. The cost for a plain copy is $8.00. The cost for a certified copy is $14.00.
In order to obtain a copy of your divorce records, you will need the following information:
- Case Number;
- Requesting party’s full name;
- Date the divorce was filed;
- Date divorce was finalized;
- Phone number, email address, or other contact information; and
- Photocopy of a valid identification.
Many court records are open and accessible to the public. There are several types of copies of court records that can be requested. They include the following:
- Uncertified copies or plain photocopies that do not have a court seal so they cannot be used for official purposes like updating your name on your driver’s license.
- Certified copies are photocopies that have a court seal or an image of a court seal that allows them to be used for official purposes like updating your name on a driver’s license after a name change.
Information in records that are not considered public information are records and details of adoptions, information about victims of domestic violence abuse, mental health and psychological evaluations by medical professionals and information about child custody or any information regarding minor children.