Listen to this post

Your divorce proceeding or decree may involve many court orders. These are legally binding agreements that can lead to harsh penalties if either party chooses not to adhere to them. After spending time, money, and energy on a court proceeding, it can be frustrating when your partner refuses to cooperate. Is there anything you can do to help enforce court orders? The simple answer: yes.

  1. Document Everything.

The first thing you should do after a spouse or other family member refuses to comply with a court order is to remind him or her of the context of your agreement. Make these reminders in writing, in case you decide to pursue legal action. It also helps to keep a diary of court order violations–for example, dates and times, supported by comments about what happened.

  1. Keep Your Cool.

It doesn’t help to berate, belittle, or use anger when talking to a family member about a court violation. You should also take care to keep the matter private–in other words, don’t take to Facebook or Twitter and complain about your ex. Online rants are typically considered admissible evidence in court, and you don’t want to sabotage your own efforts by seeming petty. Take a deep breath and use logic, not emotion, to deal with court violations.

  1. Get a Qualified Attorney Involved

When written warnings don’t help, you may need to take further legal action to resolve the matter. Unfortunately, not everyone will comply with a court order, despite its legally binding status. You may need to hire a Minnesota family law attorney to formulate a demand letter, which stipulates what you’re seeking (e.g. missed child support payments) and possible legal action (e.g. filing a motion for wage garnishment).

If filing a motion becomes necessary, you can also petition the court to have your ex-spouse or family member pay your legal fees. Don’t let cost detract you from contacting a qualified family law attorney.

If you’re getting the runaround from an ex regarding visitation, spousal maintenance, or child support, don’t let the situation continue. Contact the experienced family law attorneys at the law firm of Barna, Guzy & Steffen, Ltd. for more information or to schedule a confidential consultation.